The latest major firmware update for the Typhoon H hexacopter has just been released with some impressive new features. This update give the typhoon H even more sophisticated functionality making it even better to use as an aerial photography drone. Some of my personal favorites are the new panorama and time lapse photo modes. Also going forward all future updates will be over the air, so your ST16 will automatically connect to yuneec and download new firmware automatically!
- Panorama - Takes 8 photos in 360° for auto-stitching (Single or double height)
- Time Lapse Photo - Using the Typhoon H for mapping and image-stitching is now easier than before thanks to the new Time Lapse Photo feature
- Trim Pad Camera Function - You can now set-up the right Trim pad to select the camera functions
- Trim Pad Cruise Control - Use the left Trim pad to set the automatic pace of a flight without needing constant stick input - freeing up your hands to allow for more intricate shots
- Burst Photo Mode - Don't miss the critical moment with Burst Photo mode functionality
- Histogram - Help achieve perfect exposure levels by switching on the Histogram overlay
- Metering Mode - Take control of your exposure by adjusting the Metering mode to suit your scene
- DNG and JPEG Dual format - Capture both formats simultaneously
- Curve Cable Cam (CCC) - Now use an online mapping solutions* to create Flight paths with Waypoints and Camera control
- RealSense Range Meter - Displays distance between the aircraft and object, with the ability to set a distance alert
- Screen Shot - Capture a screenshot of the ST16 for flight records and support
-** Motor LED lights** - Ability to switch the LED lights On/Off
- Dual band Redundancy - A New safety and redundancy feature allows the Typhoon H to automatically switch the operational control to its 5.8GHz frequency in the event of signal loss on 2.4GHz
- OTA Updates - Ability to update the Typhoon H and ST16 Over The Air
- Latest Flight Control - Improved performance and stability
Other Important key Typhoon H functions:
- Return to Home Height - User Adjustable height 20m (66ft) ~ 188m (400ft)
- GPS On/Off - Turn GPS On/Off Mid-Flight
- ST16 Internal Storage Playback - Store and view video or stills on ST16 while airborne
- ST16 HDMI Out - For 2nd larger monitor or external transmission
The above updates are just a few of the recently added Camera and Flight features, and work in addition to the existing functions like Orbit me, Curve Cable Cam, Point of interest, Journey Mode, Watch Me and Follow Me.
With a wide range of intelligent flight modes, the CGO3+ 360° unlimited rotation 4K 12.4MP Camera, and the ST16 7" LCD Touchscreen streaming real time HD footage of your flight, including all telemetry data needed for professional use - the Typhoon H offers superb value for money and is the complete aerial imaging solution.
How to update firmware
This video shows you how to update the firmware and also walks you through some of the new features with the V3.0 update on your typhoon H. The first thing you want to do is to download the latest firmware from the Yuneec website
Please ensure that you fly only with the latest Typhoon H and ST16 updates installed on your system. You can check your currently installed version by accessing "System Settings > About Controller" via the Flight App on your ST16.
Your version ID should be as follows:
Typhoon H Version: 3.0 (EU)
Version 3.0 includes:
- Autopilot: v1.29
- Camera: v3.2.24
- Gimbal: v1.25
- ST16 Version: b25
Plan missions on your PC
There is also full support for third party software to allow you to plan autonomous missions using the curved cable cam features.
The first is Freersum Flight Center, and android app that can run on your ST-16 remote control, it also has lots of other fucntionality to convert the telemetry to video overlay formats, check your flight logs for errors such as compass calibrations, and a neat way to save and manage multiple mission files.
If you dont want to install anything and just want a nice browser based mission editor for your typhoon H, then CCC editor for Typhoon H is another fully featured editor that you should use.
Subscribe to DroneTrest Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox